The arms were assumed
in 1608 by Admiral Steven van der Hagen (Amersfoort 1563 – Utrecht
1624), who established the Dutch colonial rule of The East Indies on
the island of Ambon. He played a pioneer role in the rise of the
Dutch republic and in the development of the world trade in the
beginning of the seventeenth century.
His forebears were well known wool and grain merchants in Bruges and
Ypre. His mother was Maria van Surckesteyn, whose father was a
member of the city council of Amersfoort. Steven married Stefania
van der Maeth (1567 – 1633) whose forebears were members of the city
governments of Haarlem and Utrecht. He was appointed Governor of
Ambon and a member of Council of the Indies in 1617. His son,
Cornelis (1590 – 1622) was a member of the city government of
Utrecht and his grandson, Steven (1622 – 1677) was a member of the
Vroedschap of Amsterdam (a small circle of leading families) being
in the city government. Their descendants living in Germany,
Belgium, Holland and Australia have been active in commerce, banking
The armiger Jan Joop (John) van der Hagen, a former banker, born in
Hilversum in 1938, descends in a direct line from the Admiral.
The upper part of the shield shows a
crescent, a star and the sun which were the names of ships of the
first expedition to the far east undertaken by the admiral in 1599.
The other part shows the arms of the van der Maeth family.
The crest illustrates the ship with full
sails indicating the rank of Admiral.
The van der Hagen arms have been
published in the book entitled: “Repertorium Familie Wapens van
Bekende Nederlandse Geslachten” (G.E.C. ten Houte de Lange, The
Hague 2001) (Translation: Family Arms of Well Known Lineages in The
Netherlands). The arms also appear in the social register of Belgium
called "Carnet Mondain ".